Burgh le Marsh Town Charter
(The original Town Charter written in Old French was transcribed and both language versions written in calligraphy by the late John Panton BEM - framed as depicted above.)
To John Weston And his wife Margaret
1401 April 18 Westminster
Grant, of special grace, and with the assent of the council to John Weston and Margaret, his wife, and heirs, of a weekly market on Saturday at their town of Bourgh in le Mershe, co Lincoln, and two yearly fairs there, one on the vigil, the day, and the morrow of St Peter in the Chair, and the other on the vigil, the day, and the morrow of S S Peter and Paul.
The witnesses were the archbishops of Canterbury and York, the bishops of London, Winchester, Lincoln and Exeter (the latter was the Chancellor) Edmund Duke of York, henry de Percy earl of Northumberland (constable of England) Ralph de Neville earl of Westmorland (Marshall of England) John earl of Somerset (Chamberlain), Thomas earl of Worcester (Steward of the royal household) John Norbury (Treasurer) William de Roos of hamlake, Reginald de Greys of Ruthin, William de Wylughby (willoughby?) and master Richard Clifford (keeper of the privy seal)