Burgh le Marsh town signs
The Burgh le Marsh town signs were officially launched on Monday 1st March 2004, by Cllr Jim Dodsworth, mayor of Burgh and Chairman of Burgh Forward Group.
Burgh W.I. donated £50 to The Burgh Forward Group on the occasion of the Queen's Golden Jubillee to be used towards the new town signs.
The Forward Group subsequently obtained a grant , Mr John Panton also of the Forward Group designed the signs and they were crafted by Christine Baird.
Cock Hill Heritage Sign
The railings here on Cock Hill have been designed in association with the school and community groups to describe some of the history and life of Burgh le Marsh.
The work has been funded as part of the Historic Centres Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme and has been carried out by
George James & Sons Blacksmith, Broughton, Kettering, Northamptonshire.
Cock Hill itself is on the site of the Anglo Saxon burial mound and ditch. Burial remains from the 6th, and 7th centuries have been found here. It is thought to have once been used for cock fighting hence the name.
The surrounding marshland has provided the inspiration for the railing panels.
The waveform represents water, and the panels contain the following examples of marshland flora and fauna, some now very rare:
Adders Tongue Fern
Crested Dog Tail
Marsh Whorl Snail
There are Eight Figurative Panels:-
Burgh le Marsh is built around a low hill in the southern Midle Marsh, part of the Lincolnshire coastal plain. There is evidence from the Doomsday Book of an important Anglo Saxon settlement here called Burgh or Burch meaning "fort". Paleolithic and other early finds have been made on Cock Hill.
Some of these ancient people along with the Roman settlement of the area are represented here.
Farming played a central part in the town both having been built in the nineteenth century. Dobson's mill remains a fine example of a working windmil. The bread making process from field to plate is shown here.
The panel represents the strong link between the Baptists, the Methodists and the Church of England all of whom have a long history in the town. The logos representing the Methodist Chapel abd Baptist Centre frame the clock face and quotation which can be found on the Parish Church of St.Peter & St. Paul.
Coat of Arms:
The coat of arms of the Earl of Ancaster is used by Burgh le Marsh. THe top left and bottonm right quarters are Willoughby.
The top left and bottom right is Heathcote. Burgh le Marsh is twinned with Beaumont sur Sarthe 25 kilometres north of Le Mans. The coat of arms used by both towns are shown here.
A local victorian eccentric who was, amongst other things, a hairdresser, artist, woodcarver, taxidermist, numerologist and author who designed two triumphal arches errected to celebrate the coronation of King George V and Queen Mary in June 1911. Examples of his work can be seen in the Parish Church and museum.
The Station and train:
Burgh station opened in 1848 with services run by the Great Northern Railway. It was important for mail and passengers but was also the main means of moving animal feed, coal, fertilisers, fish, hay, sugar beet and potatoes. Train loads of Irish cattle would arrive in the springtime. The station closed in 1970.
Burgh le Marsh was granted its Market Charter during the reign of Henry IV in 1401. The surrounding marsh provided good grazing for cattle. The town became an important centre for livestock trading.
The museum and Parish Church both contain more information on the ocal history of Burgh le Marsh.