History of Burgh Street Names

Many of Burgh’s street names are taken from people of note in the town’s history and those names that we just take

for granted on a daily basis are worth “a second thought”.

CLAREMONT RD STREET MAP

Jane Palmer Court was named after Jane Palmer who founded a school in Burgh in 1726.
Holden Drive originates from John Holden 1503 who left 54 acres of land in his will for support of a chantry priest for 99 years thereafter to be converted to charitable purposes and is still in effect today.
Barnack Estate emanates from the Earl of Ancaster who held the manor of Burgh, Barnack Manor.
Captain Hardwick was bequeathed the property and so we have Hardwick Drive.
William Dawson and John Parker were Farmers and Graziers from the early 1900’s hence Dawson Drive and Parker Close
Walls Avenue is named after a very popular doctor, Dr. Charles Walls and lived in a house which he built named The Mount, he died there in 1907.
A farrier John Lee Storey 1842 gives his name to Storeys Lane.
One of Burgh’s newer developments, Tennyson Gate, has Tozer Close, which commemorates Bishop Tozer who went from Burgh to Africa to abolish slavery, he died in 1899
Dobson Court (and Dobson’ Mill) named after the Windmill’s miller.
Douglas Close, Kenneth Avenue, Cumberlige Close, Johnson Way and Jackson’s Lane are more recent being names of the builders who constructed residential areas in Burgh
Venables Close. Commemorates the Venables family – Arthur Venables had a Chemist Store in the 1930’s and more recently Kath and John Venables were very much involved in Burgh community, Kath Venables started the Church Handbell Group which is still active today
Beaumont Close. Named after our Twinning Town of  Beaumont  sur Sarthe in France.
Cervantes Court. The only logic for this name is the author of Don Quixote Miguel de Cervantes.
Chapman Avenue: A farmer and landowner                                                                                                                    Glebe Rise: “Glebe a church related term: also known as church furlong, rectory manor or parson's close(s)) is an area of land within an ecclesiastical parish used to support a parish priest.