History of Burgh Hall

1838 to present

10. Burgh Hall collage Sir George William Crauford, 3rd Baronet of Crauford, (also spelt as Craufurd) & vicar of Burgh le Marsh from 1838 to 1846
 had Burgh Hall built in 1840. “A commodious mansion with pleasant grounds”

at a cost of £3000.00. The Jane Palmer School which was founded in 1726 had a school house added in 1864 built at the expense of Sir George W. Crauford. He died 24 th February 1881 aged 83

(born 10 th April 1797 married Hon Hester King who died 18 th March 1848. He remarried Martha Cooke, nee Holland, on 3rd May 1849, she died 5th July 1865.)

 

His son, Lieutenant Charles William Frederick Crauford RN, was resident at the hall it is known until 1889 and was a justice of the peace. He was one of the chief landowners as was the Earl of Ancaster,but in 1892 lived in London. 

1870 22 November a conveyance  (marriage settlement) of Burgh Hall estate to include all that capital mansion house Burgh Hall with coach house stables outbuildings yards gardens pleasure grounds and pasture land plus farm and lands.

The marriage was between Charles William Frederick Crauford and the honorable Isolda Caroline Vereker, daughter of the right honorable Standish Prendergast Viscount Gort and the right honorable Caroline Harriet Viscount Gort, upon the solemnization of the marriage. They had a daughter Isolda Mabel Cecil Crauford who married Geoffrey Parker son of Hon Cecil Thomas Parker and Rosamund Esther Harriet Langley on 15 th October 1912; she died on 11 th June 1955. 

   Col William John Holt became resident in Burgh Hall in 1896 followed by Reverend Cecil Bosanquet
(related to the newsreader Reginald Bosanquet) and his wife in 1900 and resided there until his death but his wife still lived there as at 1919.

Occupancy changed again in 1926 to Frank Stephenson who was a lawyer and magistrate.
 He had 4 daughters and a son who was a hurricane pilot. Frank's aunt was also a relative of Reginald Bosanquet, a Mrs Courtney.   

1944 Lindsey County Council bought it from Frank Stephenson as a children's home for children aged between 3 – 5  then they transferred to children's home in Horncastle.

12. Burgh Hall Childrens Home Collage

 

In 1955 it changed to accommodate children aged 0- 3 and around 1963 the age range was changed to 5-15 year olds.

Current information received confirms it was still a children's home at 1983

and further research will be undertaken to establish the date when it ceased to operate as a children's home.

After a period of inactivity it reinvented itself as its current status of being a residential home for the elderly which closed in April, 2008.

 

It has now been purchased to become a small  private residential community, the Hall itself to accommodate 9 exclusive apartments with 4 or 5 houses in the grounds.