Background History of Village Hall Committee
(now named The Community Complex Committee)
A Brief History of The Village Hall Committee.
During the war as well as Navy Days, and Wings for Victory Days whist drives, dances and other fund raising activities took place for a Victory Fund.
At the end of the war the plot of land on which the Village Hall stands and the adjacent field, now belonging to Mr. Ladlow, came up for sale.
Part of the money accrued was spent on purchasing the field for a much needed village hall the rest was shared among home coming servicemen.
The present bowling club was already in being; it had at one time been a tennis club. A village Hall Committee came into being. To raise funds they sold the field
and kept the Village Hall plot.
Present chairman, John Panton, joined the Committee in about 1970 serving with a dynamic chairman Gordon Hotchen and his wife Joyce who was secretary.
He was determined to over ride local politics and go ahead and get a village hall built.
A local builder Doug Johnson got the contract and the hall was opened in 1975.
About 1980 the old primary school came up for sale. Thanks to the generosity of Mr Charlie Rawlinson who bought it to hold for the community we now have this building
A Sports Committee was formed to buy the building from Charlie but after two years they had not got anywhere.
They came to our Committee to see if we would buy the old school. After investigation to see if this would be viable, a village lottery was formed to raise funds.
There were about 400 subscribers and the monies were collected by the good services of Messrs Capes Dairies.
The committee were then able to apply for grants and 1986 the Burgh Recreation Centre was opened with various activities taking place in each of the three rooms.
In 1987 the Old School house came up for sale. Mareham-le-fen had been offered a grant from East Lindsey for a Village Hall
but they failed and the grant money became available. Thanks to Mick Capes and a Mr Muhl this grant was awarded funding the purchase this property.
The downstairs was changed into one large room and rented off to the library service. The upstairs was initially rented off for offices and now houses the local museum.
Gradually some activities at the Recreation Centre transferred to the Village Hall or petered out. This building became under used.
The Sunshine Playgroup were looking for a place of their own. A Sub Committee was formed to get grants to transform the Recreation Centre.
This took place in 2007/8. The old toilet block was demolished and the tearoom built. The west classroom was made into a babies' room.
The large classroom became a kitchen and main nursery room.
The original infant room serves as a multi-use room together with all the necessary offices, toilets, and washrooms.
None of this could have been achieved without a great deal of voluntary effort over many years.
Records of Burgh House date back to 1797 when the executors of John Chapman, Surgeon deceased who had originally had the house built,
sold the property to William Cooke of Burgh and upon his death on the 6 th August 1831 the house passed down to his son also a William Cooke.
William Cooke Jnr died thirteen years later in 1844 but his wife Margaret Cooke (formerly Martha Holland of Carrington) survived him and continued living there
with her four children, three of whom died within the following two years. The remaining daughter Mary Elizabeth Cooke married Smith William Stephen Hurrell.
Her mother, Martha , widow of William Cooke Jnr, remarried to Sir George William Crauford, owner of Burgh Hall, on 3 rd May 1849.
Ownership of Burgh House remained between Sir G.W. Crauford, Martha and Smith William Stephen Hurrell and his wife Mary (the only surviving child of William Cooke Jnr)
until 6 th April 1858 when the property was transferred to Anthony Portington of Alford until 11 th October 1858
when Anthony Portington sold Burgh House to widow, Charlotte Grantham of Spilsby who lived there with her three spinster daughters.
They operated it as a temperance hotel by the name of the Carlton Hotel. It remained as an hotel until 1912.
On 11 th October 1912 the property was sold to Mr Frederick William Capes of Burgh, (Grocer and Draper) who converted it into a large store selling day to day necessities
but specialising in shoes and boots.
In 1953 it was converted back into a family home by Cyril George Capes and is owned and still lived in by the Capes family today.
Monksthorpe Chapel History: Burgh and Monksthorpe
The present chapel at Monksthorpe was built in 1701. It stands in two acres of grounds, entirely surrounded by a good variety of trees. It was built like a barn with a thatched roof, so that it would not easily be recognised as a chapel. The thatched roof has long since gone, and the roof is now tiled.
Close by the chapel were stables and a caretaker's cottage. In the grounds is a open-air baptistery with steps down into it and it had a railing around it.
#'We have been much abused as we pass in the streets, and as we sit in our houses, being threatened to be hanged if but heard praying to our Lord in our own families, and disturbed in our so waiting upon Him by uncivil beating at our doors, and sounding of horns, yea, we have been stoned when going to our own meetings, the windows of the place where we have met have been struck down with stones, yea, we have been taken as evil doers and imprisoned, when peaceably met together to worship the most High God, in the use of His most precious Ordinances.'
So runs a petition presented to King Charles II on July 26 1660 by 35 Lincolnshire Baptists. Nine of them lived in the parishes of Burgh and Croft. The congregation at Burgh had then been in existence for 50 or more years. In spite of the petition, worship for the Burgh Baptists continued to prove difficult. In 1665, the Five Mile Act forced the congregation to leave its place of worship in Burgh. Instead they met in the fields in an area known as Monksthorpe.
One of those who worshipped there was Robert Shalder of Croft. He was imprisoned for nonconformity in Charles II's reign and he died soon after release. 'On the day he was interred,' wrote William White in his History and Directory of Lincolnshire, 'so vindictive was the persecuting spirit of the conformists that it is said they took his body from the grave and dragged it upon a sledge to his own gates'
Within the chapel is a trap door above and behind the pulpit. When it was thought that soldiers were in the area, a boy was posted outside during worship to sound the alarm, so that the preacher could shin up a ladder from the pulpit to the trap door and thus escape. Eventually the believers were able to worship again in Burgh. Over the years the work prospered so that, under the pastorate of B.J. Bull, described as a Calvinist, the membership grew to 134 in 1842, with worshippers coming from a 12 mile radius around Burgh.
However, in the late 19th century there was a rapid decline in membership and early in the present century there was no worship for two winters. The membership was only seven in 1909 when the energetic Mr. John Dowse, then aged 72, came and re-established the cause.
Picture taken in 1910 - contributed by Nancy Sorfleet1910 - photo contributed by Nancy Sorfleet
In post-war years, the chapel at Monksthorpe has been used less and less, partly because it has been falling into disrepair and partly because, with only two farms at Monksthorpe, a true 'local' church is not possible.
At Burgh the Baptists continue to worship in the chapel on the Causeway.
Photogragh contributed by Mrs. Spence who created the flower festival display positioned just in front of the pulpit.
Due to the involvement of the East Midlands Baptist Association and particularly the faithful work of Bryan and Janet Keyworth together with Harry and Frances Godden, the chapel at Monksthorpe has survived. It has been repaired and restored. The 'Friends of Monksthorpe' have given so much to ensure the building was stabilised and rotten timber replaced.
During 1999 the building was taken over by the National Trust and further restoration is in hand. There are services at Monksthorpe 4 or 5 times a year. These are usually held on a Saturday.
Stages of Burgh Bypass
- Burgh Action Group campaigned for the Burgh Bypass.
- Digging of the first sod
- Bypass Walk by Burgh Residents
- Burgh's oldest resident Gladys Waite performed the "cutting of the ribbon" ceremony for Bypass Walk
- The Bypass Walk
- Celebration at Village Hall
- Aerial images courtesey of May Gurney
- Offical Opening of the Bypass
- Views of Completed Bypass
The Burgh Bypass Walk
At half past one from the village hall
The coach transported one and all
To Layfords , the starting post
Greeted by the mayor, our congenial host.
Who gave his speech of commemoration
To mark this occasion of celebration.
Father Terry the bypass blessed
And photographs were taken by the press
Our senior resident Gladys Waite
Cut the ribbon and off we set!
The crowd processed for over 2 miles
Everybody happy all faces with smiles
At Tastee Farm the coach awaited
The community spirit of all were elated.
Back to the village hall we went
And on display for this special event
A magnificent cake
For all to partake
A raffle was held at the end of the day
For town enhancements the proceeds to pay.
Cenotaph Rededication 2011
Father Terry Steele conducted the rededication service of the addition of 15 names recently added to Burgh Cenotaph, joined by Pastor Colin Bowden - Burgh Baptist minister and the Rev Nigel Clements Skegness Methodist.
A poppy wreath of remembrance was laid by Burgh mayor, Cllr Barbara Waite.
Bett, John Robert
Brown, Charles Frederic Samuel
Enderby, Moses Smith
Padley, John Henry
Padley, Grayson Frost
Names on Centotaph & Commemorative Plaques Researched by Ian Lyall (New as at June 2012)
Tbe Burgh le Marsh website since 2004
The Burgh le Marsh website was created in 2000 by Keith Butters of Bowhunter Websites and the Town Council. Here we have a record of events recorded since 2004. We were ahead of our time.
Since the Autumn of 2014 we have been re-designing the Burgh le Marsh website with modern features including making it mobile friendly. The new website also has a search facility.
Burgh's Recent History
Charles Rawlinson secured the Recreation Centre for Burgh
Photographs (and text) supplied by kind permission of John Panton who came across them whilst clearing his loft.
Burgh applied for the Village Venture Award which we received. Three judges came. In the centre is John Panton
(Chairman of Village Hall & recreation Centre) Mick Capes to his left Leader of E.L.D.C.
This is a rather significant photograph. If it wasn't for Mr Charlie Rawlinson there would be no nursery school. tea room, museum, library or multi use room today.
When the old primary school came up for sale, Charlie purchased it to retain for the people of Burgh, otherwise doubtless the site would have been bought by developers. A committee under Alan Stanbra (centre at the table) was formed to raise funds to acquire the premises.
After two years they were unsuccessful and so the Village Hall Committee was approached. After investigations how the premises could be used the Committee set about getting funds and were able to purchase the premises for the people of Burgh in 1985.
This is the official opening after it had been in use by various clubs and societies for some time. Charlie is holding
the plaque with his wife at the table. Also at the table was John Atkinson, Alan Stanbra, Mr Muhl (ELDC) responsible for grants and a representative from W.R.E.N.
History of Burgh Hall
1838 to present
Sir George William Crauford, 3rd Baronet of Crauford, (also spelt as Craufurd) & vicar of Burgh le Marsh from 1838 to 1846
had Burgh Hall built in 1840. “A commodious mansion with pleasant grounds”
at a cost of £3000.00. The Jane Palmer School which was founded in 1726 had a school house added in 1864 built at the expense of Sir George W. Crauford. He died 24 th February 1881 aged 83
(born 10 th April 1797 married Hon Hester King who died 18 th March 1848. He remarried Martha Cooke, nee Holland, on 3rd May 1849, she died 5th July 1865.)
His son, Lieutenant Charles William Frederick Crauford RN, was resident at the hall it is known until 1889 and was a justice of the peace. He was one of the chief landowners as was the Earl of Ancaster,but in 1892 lived in London.
1870 22 November a conveyance (marriage settlement) of Burgh Hall estate to include all that capital mansion house Burgh Hall with coach house stables outbuildings yards gardens pleasure grounds and pasture land plus farm and lands.
The marriage was between Charles William Frederick Crauford and the honorable Isolda Caroline Vereker, daughter of the right honorable Standish Prendergast Viscount Gort and the right honorable Caroline Harriet Viscount Gort, upon the solemnization of the marriage. They had a daughter Isolda Mabel Cecil Crauford who married Geoffrey Parker son of Hon Cecil Thomas Parker and Rosamund Esther Harriet Langley on 15 th October 1912; she died on 11 th June 1955.
Col William John Holt became resident in Burgh Hall in 1896 followed by Reverend Cecil Bosanquet
(related to the newsreader Reginald Bosanquet) and his wife in 1900 and resided there until his death but his wife still lived there as at 1919.
Occupancy changed again in 1926 to Frank Stephenson who was a lawyer and magistrate.
He had 4 daughters and a son who was a hurricane pilot. Frank's aunt was also a relative of Reginald Bosanquet, a Mrs Courtney.
1944 Lindsey County Council bought it from Frank Stephenson as a children's home for children aged between 3 – 5 then they transferred to children's home in Horncastle.
In 1955 it changed to accommodate children aged 0- 3 and around 1963 the age range was changed to 5-15 year olds.
Current information received confirms it was still a children's home at 1983
and further research will be undertaken to establish the date when it ceased to operate as a children's home.
After a period of inactivity it reinvented itself as its current status of being a residential home for the elderly which closed in April, 2008.
It has now been purchased to become a small private residential community, the Hall itself to accommodate 9 exclusive apartments with 4 or 5 houses in the grounds.